Monday, March 8, 2010

alice in wonderland!


This weekend was so fun! I had my first outing in a long time, which made me feel like a grown up again. I haven't done much for lack of money, time, and energy, so this was a big deal. We met up with some friends for dinner at Nirvana and then Alice In Wonderland at the Castro Theatre!

A lot of people have asked what I thought of the movie, so here are my thoughts:
Overall, it was a decent, entertaining movie. But I was a little disappointed. Alice In Wonderland {and Through the Looking-Glass} has been one of my favorite stories of all time, so I had very high expectations for how they wrote this new tale. You know how it is when you see a movie after reading a book, it's never as good as you hoped. It was a Disney movie, and it felt very much like a Disney movie - light and fluffy {I'm not a fan of Disney}, and it lacked the clever literary and emotional elements from the original stories.
I'm also a HUGE Tim Burton fan so I had high expectations there too. Unfortunately, it was not very Tim Burton-esque. It was mostly just a typical Disney movie, with some Tim Burton type costumes. Other than that I thought it was a pretty good movie. There were some really fun scenes, Anne Hathaway was great in her role, and of course Johnny Depp is amazing in everything! Sigh... :)


Also, am I the only one who hates 3D movies? It's so uncomfortable and hard to focus. Please tell me this isn't the way of the future! I'll be one of those old cranky ladies saying, "Sorry kiddies, I can't see these new-fangled movies you kids are into these days. I remember the good ole days when you went to a theatre and just used the eyes the good lord gave you!"


In other news, I have 50 followers now!!! Wow! You know what that means? It's time for a Giveaway! I'll post the details later this week, so stay tuned...

How was your weekend?

8 comments:

  1. I need to see this movie! I'm keeping my expectations in check but I am excited!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't stand 3D movies either. It's as if everything must be in 3D after Avatar's success and it just makes my eyes water.... but I'm glad you had a great time this weekend! It's always wonderful when you get to take time out with your friends.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i don't like 3d movies... i feel like my eyes are getting a workout the whole time and i just want to relax! i found your blog from chelsea's. love it. i'm your newest follower. i'm from petaluma and of course am in love with sf (speaking of, please tell me you adore with bi-rite creamery just as much as me?!)... but now i live in the south - talk about culture shock! can't wait to read more of your blog. happy monday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good morning, Kim. Just read your lovely comments on my blog. Thank you! Dylan is beyond excited about tomorrow... and I am fretting about that bus-shaped cake. Last year's train-shaped cake turned out well though, so I'm sure it will all be okay!{good thing it's spring break though, or I have no idea how I'd get it all done!}

    I probably won't see Alice in the theatre. I am totally with you on the 3D thing. It really doesn't appeal to me. You have to concentrate on what you're looking at far too much.

    LOST tomorrow night. Can't wait for that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved the new Alice but I totally agree about the 3D, it was kinda pointless for this film.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm totally with you, 3d gives me a headache!! My weekend was nice, wasn't the weather great! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. 3d movies make me dizzy! did you know that they are coming out with a 3d tv?! i mean that is just crazy. way too indulgent.
    i am trying to decide if i want to see this in theaters . so many mixed reviews!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hate 3-d movies. They are amazing for the first 20 minutes and then they just give me a headache and make me woozy.

    ReplyDelete