Tuesday, May 3, 2011

it was the best of times, it was the worst of times...

best:
on saturday i got to spend the day with brandi & dyan, two of the sweetest gals around! we began our day with a picnic brunch in the new silver lake meadow, then roamed through the farmers market, indulged in amazing gelato, and picked up sweet treasures along the way.  later, brandi and i got to have an amazing brainstorming session at my local coffee shop for our upcoming bake sale {which i'm totally psyched about!}.  it was an all around fantastic day - sunshine, summer dresses, & good friends!

{photo borrowed from dyan}

worst:
saturday night i was sitting at home alone when out of the corner of my eye i saw a huge piece of the kitchen floor move.  suddenly i realized it wasn't the floor, but a GIANT disgusting cockroach!  eeeek!!!  now i have never had a cockroach in my home before and to say i completely freaked out would be an understatement {i'm good with most bugs, but if my train trip in thailand proved anything, it's that i do NOT do cockroaches}.  chloe cat jumped to my rescue and chased it into the corner.  while she had it trapped, i ran across the kitchen counter to the sink where i grabbed the first poisonous thing i could find {a spray bottle full of bleach}. i jumped back onto the counter and back into kill position.  after about an hour of waiting for it to come out and trying to spray the thing when it did {missing every time}, i finally got my perfect shot as it ran right toward me through the middle of the floor.  thinking back on it, i'm sure i was quite a hilarious sight,
but in my fight or flight moment it was full-on war.  picture me crouched on my counter, screaming as i
 pulled the trigger over and over.  while it had slowed, it still wasn't dying so i finally jumped in front of
it and slammed the bottle down in one hard punch.  this was immediately followed by a traumatized
 chant of "ohmygod, ohmygod, ohmygod, f*ck! f*ck! f*ck! ohmygod, ohmygod..." 

dannon finally came home a couple hours later to find a floor full of bleach, me watching tv on the counter {so i could see if it came back to life, like they always do in horror films} with an empty bottle of whiskey, and half a smashed cockroach sticking out from under the bleach bottle.  he thought this was all pretty funny. i, on the other hand, couldn't go to sleep until i had downed another half a bottle of bourbon {our bed sits directly on the floor, one room over... i'm sure you understand}.

today i tried to convince dannon we need to surround the house with 3 different layers of poison, a small but constant burning ring of fire, and any/all animals which eat cockroaches {but not kitties}.
i think it's a good plan.

{eek!}

how is your week so far?

30 comments:

  1. the picnic brunch with your girls sounds so sweet and lovely. i hate cockroaches too! in our old house, my older brother and sister was at home and we all saw a cockroach fly across the room and we all shat our pants, it went under the couch and debating over who should kill it while all of us fussing went for a while cos as soon as we lifted the couch up it was gone.. lol

    X

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I would love to have been watching, it seems funny, but if it had been me, I would probably be sitting on the counter rigth next to you:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would have been up on that counter with you for sure. Ugh...even thinking about it has my eyes searching my floor!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How many people can your counter hold? I am not a fan of cockroaches either, I think a few of us would have made you company hehe

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh goodness, I would have been up on that counter too! Yuck!

    Your picnic sounds lovely, and something that I could definitely use right now! Some quality girl time! :).

    ReplyDelete
  6. the brunch sounds lovely. so glad you guys had fun. The bake sale is a rocking idea!!
    You would have hated my apt 2 summers ago. It was infiltrated with them because all the gross people left the complex(they suppose to renovate)...anyway all these bugs showed up at my door. Gross beyond words.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hate bugs too. Especially cockroaches. Luckily, I pretty much have a "I'm just gonna kill it" attitude now, after having to deal with so many bugs in the past. That said, there would have definitely been some freaking out going on as well. I hope you never see another one in your home!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Kim, I am glad to know you can see the humor in the situation. I could have whacked that cockroach for you easy, but I am afraid of ants so we're even.
    That blogger meet-up sounds lovely. Makes me wish I lived in Southern California!

    ReplyDelete
  9. First, I love that photo of you three! :) Blogger meet-ups are seriously the best - I so wish I could have joined you lovely ladies! :)

    And I would freak out if I saw a cockroach too!! I mean, I don't like spiders either, but cockroaches are the worst (side note: what I do when I see giant creepy spiders - I cover it with a cup and then put a book over the cup. Then when Mardy gets home, I have him release it outside.) Anyway, glad you got that sucker! Here's hoping to you not seeing another cockroach there!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I totally would have done the SAME EXACT THING.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Umm yeah, I would have been screaming profanities and leaping up on my counter too!

    Thank goodness you have happy memories of your picnic, and plans for your bake sale to distract you from the horror of it all!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hahaha. I must say I'm with Dannon. Sounds like a pretty hilarious adventure. Although, I'd probably be screaming if I had to kill it too. :)

    Looks like a grand time there with you perched on the counter!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Although the circumstances for the picture are not the best, the photo is really cute! hope the roach situation gets squared away eeks

    ReplyDelete
  14. I hate bugs! But I will kill them when necessary. I'd rather just get it over with and remove it from torturing me. ;]

    ReplyDelete
  15. EWWW! I hate them so much! Sorry you had to endure that. You are too cute though!

    And I love that picture of you three. So lovely (and I am sooooo jealous!)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'd say you handled that ordeal much more calmly than one would expect. I would have FLIPPED OUT too. Lucky that the cat was there to assist!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I absolutely hate roaches (who doesn't! even men seem to shriek around them) but I love Brandi and I'm so jealous you got to hang out with her! Your bake sale sounds awesome. Good luck with that!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh noooooo I'm sorry! I used to have quite a traumatic centipede problem, and when I ran into them (multiple times a day), I would shake for about 10 minutes. Ugh. Lucky you have a hunter kitty to help out!

    ReplyDelete
  19. ahhh so traumatizing, yet hilarious! i have this reaction to most insects, but roaches are definitely extra gross. the annoying thing is i also have a fear of killing them - i do NOT want to see squished bodies or hear anything crunch. as a result, my plan of attack is to drop huge books, like dictionaries, on creepy crawlies and nonchalantly leave them there until an adult (ie. husband) cleans up :-)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh my gosh, this sounds awful! Lucky you're so tiny and could fit on that counter so well...I'd be doing the same thing!

    And on a better note...you ladies all look so lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  21. um, i cannot stand cockroaches! ack! they are disgusting!!! i lived in one apartment building years ago, and everybody had roaches. no matter how clean you kept your place, the roaches would come crawling back. it was AWFUL! i could tell you stories, but this comment box isn't big enough! needless to say, we had to have the apartment bombed/nuked and that finally did them in. and we moved shortly thereafter. roaches are the worst! i hope you never see another one in your home!

    ReplyDelete
  22. hahaha awesome! good luck with that :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. That's so awesome that you guys met up! I met Chicago bloggers last week, it was pretty fun! Sorry to hear about the roach problem, that's gotta be an awful situation!

    ReplyDelete
  24. The picnic brunch sounds so good! I love that my favourite bloggers are friends :)
    That sucks about the cockroach, I hate them too! I have to admit, the story did give a little bit of a giggle :)

    We get lots of moths in my apartment, and I love moths so I hate to see my cats kill them. So whenever one goes flying past my cats go after it, then I go after the cats, then Joel goes running after us to stop us knocking things over..round and round we go around our one bedroom apartment.
    Your story reminded me of this! It's funny how tiny little insects can cause such a commotion!

    ReplyDelete
  25. ewwwwww cockroaches are sooooo gross!!!!!! i would freak if i saw one. and there's no way i could kill it. they're so big and so juicy that even hearing the "crunch" sound would make me cringe.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Had that happened to me, I'd be exactly where you are in the photo!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I instantly recognized Brandi's great dress from Shabby Apple -- all you ladies look lovely, sounds like a fun time! (Note that I'm trying to ignore commenting about the bug scenario because I agree on the gross-out factor.)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Oh that picnic brunch sounds fun & awesome !!

    Oh no !! I hate cockroaches !! Especially when they are 'flying'...ewwwwwwwww

    ReplyDelete
  29. My dear sister,
    The funky bug freak out dance (and scream) is in our genes! I have seen mom do it too! Now I must tell you, I have gotten over my fear of spiders and roaches out of necessity. Children dont do well when they see momma freaking out. So to not cause my children to perpetuate the cycle, I had found ways to freak out on the inside, MOSTLY(even the time I had a HUGE palmetto bug fly accross the room and land on me!) But now we are living in the country in the woods. Now our home is surrounded by all kinds of creaping creatures and I am back to doing the funky bug freak out dance along with things like screaming "DIE DIE DIE" at the top of my lungs. We have wolf spiders 2 1/2" across all over our lawn, little scorpions that invade our home nearly nightly, and just this morning we found a little 15" copperhead on our front porch under the kids big wheels. Really makes me wish I just had the 2" long palmetto bugs like in our old place. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  30. Oh and also forgot to tell you, the degreasing agent, Greased Lighting, kills roaches SUPER fast without even getting much on em. But I am like you, I go into adreniline overkill mode and start spraying like I am Rambo with a AK 47!

    ReplyDelete