Friday, April 17, 2009

April 18, 1906


Tomorrow is the 103rd anniversary of the great earthquake that destroyed my wonderful city. Scientists are not quite sure exactly what the magnitude was, but they all agree it was somewhere around 8 on the Richter scale. This earthquake leveled thousands of buildings, set off fires that lasted for days, killed countless people, and set free a whole bunch of parrots. Several times a year officials tells us that we should be prepared for "the next big one" any day now. Not to worry though, my house has been retrofitted and my earthquake kit is stocked! What an adventure that will be if I'm around for it.

View of the fires in downtown SF from Alamo Square {right by my house}.
View from Nob Hill.
{pics borrowed from here and here}

1 comment:

  1. oh my gosh! that is crazy. it's really crazy to see that row of houses that are still standing from alamo square (you know, the full house view), and thinking that they have been there all this time. they are sooo oooold.

    ReplyDelete